Blue Book Chronicles
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Ruins of Bellhurst

3 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The Ruins of Bellhurst Empty The Ruins of Bellhurst

Post  Yeorl Oakenleaf Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:42 am

"Maester, you must know something about the ruins- how can you call yourself a master of lore if you know not the history of those within your own border?!" Demanded Loras, outraged at the ignorance of the scholar. Did I travel all the way here for nothing? Thought Loras, feeling a little bit drained of hope; his one idea, his one lead.. Had proven worthless.

"Excuse me young man! But I'd show some respect, you don't barge into a man's office asking him for aide then insult him for what he can provide being insufficient! It's just.. Ungainly!" Stated the old scholar, equally outraged at how rude Loras was.

"Look, I'm sorry Maester. Things have been hard in Bellhurst of late, I've been lead to believe that the beasts of the marshland are being manipulated by some sort of unworldly force and you were my last hope." Loras placated softly, with not so much of a fraction of the original hope he had entered the Maesters office with. Maybe it was hopeless..

The Maester adjusted his spectacles and closed the large leather bound tome open on his desk with a loud bang. It was marked NORSE-FENDIAN FOLKLORE and looked even older than the small man; one might even assume that the scholar had found his path to immortality he was so frail and aged.

"Good Sheriff. Have you not simply tried venturing into the ruins and finding out what you could from there?" Suggested the Maester as if it were the simplest thing to do in the world.

"You're an ignorant fool Maester and I retract my previous apology, to venture into those ruins why.. It'd be pure folly.. I'd rather just end myself here and now and save the bloody beasts the trouble." Loras spat, dumbfounded at how one who called himself a historian could be so idiotic as to suggest entering a place as that.

Yeorl Oakenleaf
Yeorl Oakenleaf
Admin

Gold Gold : 450

Character sheet
Level: 2
Next Level:
The Ruins of Bellhurst Left_bar_bleue102/300The Ruins of Bellhurst Empty_bar_bleue  (102/300)
Morality: Neutral

Back to top Go down

The Ruins of Bellhurst Empty Re: The Ruins of Bellhurst

Post  Caleb Ilano Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:28 am

McAlney quietly opened the door a crack, inside he saw Maester Lendharin being harassed by some obvious stranger to the school. The man was presumably a traveller by some sort, his clothes were of another land it seemed. He had on him what looked like a few weapons, one of which was a small contraption that McAlney remembered reading about, a "pistol".

He felt the man was posing no immediate threat from his words and stature, but nevertheless he walked into the room with his hand defensively on his spellbook.
"Is this man bothering you Maester?" He asked as he stood by the wise one's side. Recieving a frail wave of the hand as declination he then redirected his words. "You speak of the ruins of Bellhurst, what drives you to know of them?" He questioned the stranger, his interest almost betraying his stern face.
Caleb Ilano
Caleb Ilano
Admin

Gold Gold : 600

Character sheet
Level: 4
Next Level:
The Ruins of Bellhurst Left_bar_bleue21/100The Ruins of Bellhurst Empty_bar_bleue  (21/100)
Morality: Hero

http://bluebookchronicles.omgforum.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Yeorl Oakenleaf Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:35 am

During the middle of their shouting bout a stern looking young man entered the office. The look on his face was both defensive and intrigued, or so it seemed - it was hard to tell. His hand lay rested on a spell book in the same manner one might assume an arrow would be held notched.
But his question, was relevant - clearly he was interested in Loras's plight, that's more than then the old bag of bones could say, thought Loras.

"I'm Loras, Loras Jackson; I'm the current Sheriff of Bellhurst and I've come seeking outside aid in a query of mine. However, it seems the scholarly knowledge of the lore master here is inadequate in what I need to know.. He's even foolish enough to suggest an expedition to the ruined city. What fool would even accompany me?!" Loras scowled as he shot the Maester a look of disapproval.
"You see the beasts of the moor have been acting up lately; well, the same as always but something has lead me to believe that were we to uncover the hidden secrets of the land we could stop it all together. Each year the population of my town shrinks and each year it becomes increasingly more difficult to deal with the monsters.. All the while.. Other things lurk in the dark water. Things that should not be stirring."
Yeorl Oakenleaf
Yeorl Oakenleaf
Admin

Character sheet
Next Level:
The Ruins of Bellhurst Left_bar_bleue102/300The Ruins of Bellhurst Empty_bar_bleue  (102/300)

Back to top Go down

Post  Caleb Ilano Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:57 am

McAlney let slip a look of dissapointment, half from the percieved loss of the chance at scouring the ruins he had been so interested in, and half from the man's lacking grasp of the obvious course of action.

"If a fool is who you need then I am your jester." McAlney held out his hand to shake from due custom, the dissapointment falling from his gaze. His face was very sobered for such a comment, not even a smirk to warm the greeting. "I'm Steven McAlney, a wizard here. I suggest we go to your ruins."

He realised that two men did hardly an army make, and this Sheriff likely wouldn't feel much safer with just an Adept at his side. "I suggest we gather a few before we head towards this place." Lendharin gently grabbed the boy's shoulder in discouragement, but he lowered it instead, feeling the determination in the pupil.
Caleb Ilano
Caleb Ilano
Admin

Character sheet
Next Level:
The Ruins of Bellhurst Left_bar_bleue21/100The Ruins of Bellhurst Empty_bar_bleue  (21/100)

Back to top Go down

Post  Yeorl Oakenleaf Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:43 pm

Loras gazed upon the youth in utter disbelief, Who is this guy? Who would volunteer so eagerly for a task as mad as this? Loras thought. Clearly these Kotepians knew nothing of the moor, but he'd welcome what ever help he could get. Every militia commander knows to never turn down an able arm.
"Damnit." Loras spat angrily as he slammed a gloved fist onto the wooden table sending apparatus flying. The two gazed on at him as if this was a regular occurrence and more than a look of mischievous amusement in the eyes of the elder. These two must take me for some mad hick. Loras sighed realising what must be done.

"You're both right, entering the ruins is the only option we have - but I'm curious what in oblivion guides you to aid me in this? What have you to gain?"
Yeorl Oakenleaf
Yeorl Oakenleaf
Admin

Character sheet
Next Level:

Back to top Go down

Post  Caleb Ilano Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:16 pm

"I've heard stories of the place, and I feel that it would make for a great experience. Surely if we discovered any secrets you would be a hero and I would have valuable information for the times ahead." McAlney justified his impulsive decision. "I won't be helping you, I'd be helping the world, and more importantly this college."

The old one turned to collect his fallen affects, and at the same time grabbed a short list bookmarking a now cracked book. He examined the book as a mother would a wounded child, setting it for later and taking the list to McAlney. He gave a whisper to the boy, explaining something.

"The people on this list would make fine companions, I hear." He said, slipping the list to Loras. It was a list of applicants for work outside the school, generally the more dangerous type. The name Steven McAlney was on it near the top.
Caleb Ilano
Caleb Ilano
Admin

Character sheet
Next Level:

Back to top Go down

Post  Yeorl Oakenleaf Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:31 pm

Loras held a stern thoughtful watch over the two as he considered what he should do. I do need their help, well any help I can get.. But can I really drag some poor unknowing bastards with me?
"All right, I'd take the list but I'm afraid I don't know any of these men in the first place. Steven, why don't you decide who we should go to for aid and take over for now." Loras suggested, obviously it'd be far wiser for him to choose since Loras knew nothing of these men.
Yeorl Oakenleaf
Yeorl Oakenleaf
Admin

Character sheet
Next Level:

Back to top Go down

Post  Caleb Ilano Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:10 am

"Very well then." McAlney said, taking the sheet and leaving the room with a swift pace. He was intending on gathering only a few that he trusted, or rather, the few that trusted him. He headed towards the arcanium, finding the pair he needed inside.

"Hey there Steve." McAlney cringed at Jay's greeting, he didn't like being adressed by his first name. He looked to the other one, Finn. "You two want out of school work, I have some." He offered.
"We could consider it, I suppose." Finn replied, McAlney ushered the two into the hallway and towards the Sheriff. "This man proposes we go to the ruins of Bellhurst to investigate the beasts that ravage their town." McAlney looked to Loras, waiting for any response.
Caleb Ilano
Caleb Ilano
Admin

Character sheet
Next Level:

Back to top Go down

Post  Yeorl Oakenleaf Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:28 am

Loras gazed upon the two wizards who would join him, they definitely looked the adventurous sort all right and he was really counting on foreign aid; he just hoped he and Steven could convince them to join.
"I'm not going to lie to you boys, it'll be dangerous. Damn dangerous. In fact for even listening to this you're probably stark raving mad." Loras informed the two wizards as he spat off to the side - much to their disgust.
"I can't quite say what we'll run into out there, but I can assure you it'll be bad. If you don't want to join I understand - but if you have any shred of want in you think of the benefits-" Loras droned on desperately trying to find something to convince them it all seemed like a lose lose situation no matter how he phrased it.
Then an idea came to him.
"-and the treasure. Think about it, ruins that old have to have something of value lying around perhaps even old arcane devices you folks love studying so much."
Yeorl Oakenleaf
Yeorl Oakenleaf
Admin

Character sheet
Next Level:

Back to top Go down

Post  Caleb Ilano Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:42 am

"We're in." Jay declared.
"Hey, don't I have a say in this?" Finn protested.
"No."
"...... Okay" The brothers decided, heading to their room and gathering their things.

"I'm assuming that you'd like some of your friends also?" McAlney suggested, half ashamed of his own bubbly friends. He went to his own room and came out shortly after with a traveling bag and changed robes. The brothers swiftly followed in appropriate attire for an adventure, and they left a notice of departure, signed and all with magical ink and the likes.

"So where are these ruins of Bellhurst friend?" Jay asked the stranger.
"Bellhurst, you dolt." Jay slapped his younger brother for the snarky comment, McAlney kept walking.

"So we head off?" He asked calmly.
Caleb Ilano
Caleb Ilano
Admin

Character sheet
Next Level:

Back to top Go down

Post  Yeorl Oakenleaf Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:05 am

"I'm afraid what ever friends I have are busy fighting for their lives in that marsh.. And to be honest I'm almost ashamed of myself being all the way out here when they could use my leadership." Sighed Loras as a look of guilt struck his face. What if this all proves for nothing.. What if the town has a major attack and I'm out here chasing shadows..
"Yes, this journey will take us down the Queens road and I'm sure we all know how hazardous that can be. Along the way I've plotted a village I'd like us to visit an old friend of mine who used to live in Bellhurst. He is the town's blacksmith or something. If we're lucky he'll still be alive and have some useful information for us. He was one of those spiritual men always seeing ghosts and the like." Loras explained as he led the way out of the college.
They walked through the cobbled streets to the sounds of the city and constant bickering of brothers.
"Do those two ever quiet down?" Loras chuckled grinning, it appeared as if after only ten minutes the two young mages had already lightened his mood.

At last they approached the gate to exit the city which was guarded by six men in royal colours.
"Halt ye', none are tee' pass through without' permission." The guards called out in challenge, from the look of the scene it appeared as if some petty crime had unfolded right in front of the gates and they wanted to block the easiest available exit.
Yeorl Oakenleaf
Yeorl Oakenleaf
Admin

Character sheet
Next Level:

Back to top Go down

Post  Caleb Ilano Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:26 am

"We could just take another way out?" Finn reluctantly suggested, he looked for another route.
"Don't be dumb, this is the path we take, don't let some daft guards stop us." Jay scolded.

McAlney stood to one of the more leniant looking guards. "What happened here?"
"Well there were a robbery don' cha know. Some say that man o'er there was the cause o' this ruckus, I'm just here to look pretty." The guard pointed to a man in the crowd, the man was being asked a few questions presumably, and he seemed very anxious to leave.
"Well if you have your man then why do you need to block the road?" McAlney questioned.
"A cause were not sure it was him. Way we sees it it coulda been you fellas dressed differn't that broke int' that house and stole s'm stuff."
Caleb Ilano
Caleb Ilano
Admin

Character sheet
Next Level:

Back to top Go down

Post  Yeorl Oakenleaf Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:40 pm

".. Let us through guards, this is Steven McAlney. Do you wish to anger one of his prestige?" Demanded Loras, faking outrage and a position of power; who was he to know if Steven was even an infamous member of the nobility? He just hoped it'd work.
"Look at my badge, I'm a man of the law myself - now move aside so my friends and I here can get through. We have important business to attend to and would like to be on our way." Loras droned on impatiently flashing his silver badge that represents the Sheriff of Bellhurst, featuring the towns logo a lone raven in black draped over an ivory moon.

"Alright move along.. Move along then.." The guard stammered uncertainly, not sure whether or not to believe the foreigner.

"Is crime a common thing out here? Either way your guards did good. Being a man of the law where I'm from means killing ridiculously horrifying monsters and than dying in the process. It's interesting to see how crime is dealt with." Asked Loras, genuinely curious.
Yeorl Oakenleaf
Yeorl Oakenleaf
Admin

Character sheet
Next Level:

Back to top Go down

Post  Caleb Ilano Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:33 pm

"Crime breeds well in such a big marketplace. There are however many well trained guards to help." Finn hypothesized.
"We just need to bring the hammer down on criminal scum!" Jay enthusiastically said.

McAlney kept up with the other three, not talking. He wondered how the Sheriff was planning on getting to Bellhurst, so he turned and looked inquisitively at him when they approached a stable.
"How exactly do you get to Bellhurst?" Jay interrupted the silence.
Caleb Ilano
Caleb Ilano
Admin

Character sheet
Next Level:

Back to top Go down

Post  Yeorl Oakenleaf Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:14 am

"It's about a four day ride from here and we'll be taking mounts. No need to ask I've already paid." Loras explained as he threw a leg over top the mahogany stallion waiting for them - he pointed to three horses of the same breed. They were not powerful horses, nor were they fast, but they were a durable and well trained in reacting to the danger on the Queens road.
"I had a lot of extra coin just waiting to be spent. Okay, we're going to follow the Queens road through the mountains and eventually if my map is right we should come across a town - but be wary this is the most dangerous road I've ever travelled on. Conflict is nearly inevitable." Loras snapped the reigns and drove the beast forward, for the first four legs of the journey.
Yeorl Oakenleaf
Yeorl Oakenleaf
Admin

Character sheet
Next Level:

Back to top Go down

Post  Everett Dealer Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:47 am

"You're serious? You have no more horses? Well, that's just perfect." Stitcher exclaimed. Well, this day is just going great. First I get accused of theft, never mind the fact that I actually did it. At least I was able to talk my way out of it. Now it's seems I'll have to walk to Bellhurst."
"That's right. I sold the last of them to some travelers just a few moment's ago." explained the stable manager. As he turned to examine one of the stable doors.
"Travelers? Did they say where they'd be going?" Stitcher asked, curious and losing his patience at the same time.
"Weeell, one of 'em did mention Bellhurst and they did leave in that direction." The stable manager turned around "But that can't be right. I mean, it's a terrible place. Am I right?" But Stitcher was already gone.
Stiticher caught up to the travelers right as they were leaving the village. It was simple to find them as they were they only one's on horses. He shouted out "Hey! Wait!"
Everett Dealer
Everett Dealer

Gold Gold : 1

Back to top Go down

Post  Caleb Ilano Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:02 pm

"Mugger!" Jay shouted at the man, rearing his horse and taking off. Finn shot after him. "It's just a traveller!" He shouted trying to calm his brother.

McAlney slowly turned his horse to the man. He looked him up and down, seeing on the outside a confident, well composed man, likely in his thirties, bearing the appearance of a mercenary, but not equipped like one would expect. He did see a blade across the man's back, but it seemed rather unformally strapped, as if it were mainly for appearance, he did however seem to carry a medical bag, a quite worn out one by the looks of it. The man looked like he walked with a limp, not his actual stride, but the age and ache that went with it. Odd.

"I apologize for my associates. What do you need?" He asked politely, remembering the brothers and beckoning for Loras to go collect them.
Caleb Ilano
Caleb Ilano
Admin

Character sheet
Next Level:

Back to top Go down

Post  Yeorl Oakenleaf Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:21 pm

"Oi! Tweedle dee and tweedle dumb get over here." Loras cracked as he turned his mount to meet the stranger. The twins froze; Loras chuckled to himself - he always found it amusing the way people acted towards voices of authority.
"Hail! I'm Loras Jackson, the Sheriff of Bellhurst. How can my companions and I be of service?" Loras beckoned showing a sea of white as he gave off a great big smile. Things tended to be going his way lately and this man was obviously looking for work. Maybe by the time we reach Bellhurst I'll have a whole bloody army, thought Loras.
It was clear the man was not of ill intent and the twins were just being their same silly selves.
Yeorl Oakenleaf
Yeorl Oakenleaf
Admin

Character sheet
Next Level:

Back to top Go down

Post  Everett Dealer Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:00 pm

Sheriff! I going to have to be careful, but at least I gives me a way in. The rest of them appear to mages, but I would guess from their youth that their students. So I just have to appear smart, which isn't that hard, and they'll beg for me to teach them. Simple. thought Stitcher as he examined the group. "My name is Frank Stitcher. I am a traveling healer and natural philosopher. I have heard that Bellhurst has some particularly strange and fearsome wildlife. I had hoped that if I studied them, I might discover some insight that would help the native people drive off the beasts. I heard there was a group a travelers headed for Bellhurst and I wish to accompany you."
Everett Dealer
Everett Dealer

Back to top Go down

Post  Caleb Ilano Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:15 pm

McAlney's expression did not change.
He was wondering how this man was planning on keeping up without a horse when he heard Jay and Finn yelling at eachother. He turned slowly to see the young boy in green tossed off of his horse and brought up onto the red one's horse.
"Mister Frank sir! You can ride on this horse I just found!" Jay waved at Stitcher. Finn shoved at his brother but recieved a shove back, nearly tossing him off a second steed.

McAlney began the trek a second time, this time far enough ahead of the group to just hear the words of the Sheriff and the Healer, but not the laughter of the brothers in the far back.

He saw a few men walking on the outside of the road. He thought little of it, as there were four horses on the path and it was wise not to be in the way.
Caleb Ilano
Caleb Ilano
Admin

Character sheet
Next Level:

Back to top Go down

Post  Yeorl Oakenleaf Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:32 pm

Loras looked back smiling on the folly of the two brothers, he was always heartened to see youth in others and their numerous antics definitely showed they were far from growing up. Living in a place like Bellhurst you learned to appreciate childishness and moments of frivolity.
The party of five had been riding on for some time and all the while Loras couldn't help but notice they were being shadowed by a few persons. He could not make out exactly, who or what they were - nor even if they were armed; but, they were definitely being followed. We'll have to confront and deal with that before sun goes down and we're forced to make camp, last thing any of us need is a knife in the back, thought Loras morosely.
"So Stitcher, I'm curious to know what exactly have you heard of Bellhurst and from whom? I hope you're aware of the danger you're stepping into." Queried Loras, distracted still trailing the shadowers with his eyes.
Just what the heck were they up to?
Yeorl Oakenleaf
Yeorl Oakenleaf
Admin

Character sheet
Next Level:

Back to top Go down

Post  Everett Dealer Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:31 pm

"Well Loras, I've been traveling this part of Kotepia for quite some time and rumors are always circulating about the terrors of Bellhurst. I've even treated the injuries of people fleeing the region. The wounds they've sustained are quite horrific. And as for what I've heard, no one talks of anything except the monsters. Men that turn into wolfs, night stalkers hunting for blood, bats the size of small dogs, giant spiders. If every thing I've heard is true it's a miracle that humans can survive at all." As Stitcher talked he noticed that Loras seemed distracted.
Searching for the cause, he quickly noticed the men following behind the group. Even from a distance Stitcher could tell, by the way they walked, their posture and so on, that the four of them where large, strong, young men in their prime. Perfect test subjects. As Stitcher watched the men shifted from a slow walk to a fast, leaping stride.
Before Stitcher could shout warning the men where upon them, leaping up and tearing the two brothers from their saddles. The men then set upon them, tearing at them with their bear hands in feral manner, growling and snarling all the while.
Everett Dealer
Everett Dealer

Back to top Go down

Post  Caleb Ilano Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:36 am

"By Meirn!!" Finn screamed as he was tossed, again, from a horse, this time with a claw mark running down his shirt.

Jay shouted something and one of the men caught aflame. The half man half bear swung away and ran away towards a stream, primally fearing the fire. The second bear man was trying to get a piece of Finn when McAlney, surprisingly calm, chanted something at the beast. The monster was jerking wildly, resisting the incantation, it swung back and forth yelling when a third beast took McAlney off of his horse also.

Finn took the distraction of the struggling bear and used it to send a magical stone spike through it, successfully stopping the struggle. "What are these things?!" Jay collected himself and his brother, and shouted towards Loras. "You have to help Steven!"

McAlney choked out a scream as the man beast was upon him, tearing at the left arm he had held up defensively. McAlney grew weak.

The fourth man was running towards Stitcher, not quite transformed yet.
Caleb Ilano
Caleb Ilano
Admin

Character sheet
Next Level:

Back to top Go down

Post  Yeorl Oakenleaf Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:32 pm

Loras watched in mock surprise as the group of feral men descended upon his friends, he sighed and drew his pistol out and aimed it at the beast on top of Steven. SNAP! A sound cracked through the air, the report of the cartridge igniting, a plume of smoke billowed from the end of his pistol and a small hole just in between the eyes took place on it's forehead.
Loras hopped off his horse and ran to one of the corpses, examining it over.
Wilderkin, he observed, but what the hell are they doing this far south?

"Steven are you okay?" Loras asked absently, something was very wrong about this whole situation.
The two brothers raced to Stevens side as Stitcher dispatched the last man.
"We got lucky, this group was surprisingly poorly armed and well.. More feral than usual. I've encountered their kind before - they're a breed of Orc. The savage kind." Informed Loras.
Yeorl Oakenleaf
Yeorl Oakenleaf
Admin

Character sheet
Next Level:

Back to top Go down

Post  Everett Dealer Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:49 pm

The horse Stitcher was riding, terrorised by the wilderkin, bucked and threw Stitcher from it's back. Stitcher fell heavily to the ground, landing on his arm at an awkward angle. As he got up and tested the arm Sitcher thought Pain: minimal. Humerus, radius and ulna remain at the correct angle. Analysis: nothing broken. Also, note to self: give horse sedative when entering combat
Tuning to face the still approaching wilderkin, Stitcher pulled a syringe with his most powerful sedative from his belt. As the man-bear swiped at him, Stitcher side-stepped and plunged the needle into the beast's neck. The orc instantly fell to the ground, unconscious.
Half-listening to Loras, Stitcher returned the now empty syringe and drew a scalpel instead. "More feral than usual, eh? Let's find out why." Stitcher muttered to himself as he approached the orc, preparing to dissect it while it still lived.
"Hey Doc, why don't you do something about Steven's arm!" Jay shouted. Stitcher sighed and turned to towards the others, removing his medical supplies from his pack. As he began to sew up McAlney's arm, Stitcher said to Loras "If you want to know what their doing here you can ask that one when it wakes up"
Everett Dealer
Everett Dealer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next